Sunday, April 6, 2008

The move and a sad attempt to cook


We are all moved into our new apartment... or should I say all of our stuff is in our new apartment. We have definitely NOT organized our house all the way. We were in such a time crunch to get out of our old apartment, that we would just fill up boxes then dump them out in the new place, and take them back for more. Luckily, the chaos has been mostly contained in the 2nd bedroom as you can see. We are really excited to get stuff organized so we can enjoy our new, spacious apartment. It is a 2 bedroom 2 full bath apartment, and we are paying a couple hundred $ less than the old place. The only one who doesn't like it is the cat. She goes through angry stages after we "disrupt" her life. Last time me moved, she would walk behind us and bite our calves. For now, she just walks around hissing at nothing (I tried to find a picture of her being mad, so this one is right after we gave her a bath). Other than that, we are loving it so far, although I am not looking forward to decorating. I am a horrible decorator. For example, my first year of college, Becky, Rachel and I decided to whip out the big guns to class our place up... so we hung Mormonads (unframed, of course) all over the apartment by sticky tack. Let's just say my skills have not improved! Any volunteer's to help????


I can't believe I am posting this, but it has been so long since I did a post (my life is so exciting, haha) I thought I would throw it in. The other night I was STARVING and we didn't have a whole lot of food since we were in the middle of a move. I decided I would make home made mac and cheese, my mom used to make the best macaroni and cheese ever. Although I have never made it I decided I didn't need a recipe, how hard could it be? So I bring milk and butter to a boil, thinking it would thicken by itself (since then have learned I should have used some flour). I turn off the heat and added grated cheese, but it wasn't thick like I thought it would be. I then made the fatal error of putting it back on the heat to try again. The cheese curdled (at least, I think that is what happened) and absolutely no thickening occured. This was the final product(this image is NOT for those with weak stomaches)... and no, we didn't eat it. Poor Jared, I need to take some cooking classes!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brooke said...

DON"T CLICK ON THE LINK ABOVE. . . in fact DELETE it!!! I don't know if they have viruses. . . but I don't like them!

The macaroni looks so much worse in pictures than it did in my head. Yeah maybe you should go and buy a few of the box velveeta kind :)

Good luck with the unpacking!

. said...

omg. that pic is def not for the weak stomache.

and to think...i didn't think i had a weak stomache until tonight....jk.

The Miller's said...

oops I posted something on your greatful sunday But it was suppose to go under this one. I messed up sorry

rachel said...

haha oh man thats so funny. hey now you live next to mcdonalds. I would also love someone to come and decorate my house. I did the mormonade thing too how funny.

Erin said...

Lindsey, that looks like barf! Haha. And sadly, it reminds me of my own cooking!! Some women just weren't meant to do gourmet (like me and you!).

Andy and Sara said...

Lindsey-

The sad thing is that I have outdone you on the "bad" cooking experience probably 10 times over. It's a good thing Andy didn't know how horrible of a chef I am before we got married. I've done some bad stuff!!

Kristen said...

good luck moving in. I don't like moving either. Which is why we always procrastinate. I want to be on HGTV so that they will come redocroate my house.

Will & Amy said...

Good luck with the cooking lessons and the unpacking/organizing! We have been in our house for a year and are still trying to figure out how to organize certain things...I think I've given up. Looks like you're doing great! I'm glad Brookie gave me your blog.

Ami said...

aww that picture of Cricket is so cute! How is decorating going? We have to have an office party Thur night for the homecoming of our precious show!

Lori said...

Yea for a new apartment! Moving is probably the worst thing in the world, but I love the fresh start. And more space for less $$? You got a steal of a deal! As for decorating tips, I am probably not the one to ask... but I always think that less is more. If everything has it's own place, I am a happy person. :) Have fun with it!

taytum said...

If you ever find out the real recipe to your mom's home made mac and cheese feel free to pass it my way.

Melinda Jones said...

The mac and cheese looks delightful, I too have had my fair share of cooking mishaps, the most notable one was a blueberry souffle that ended up in the trash. Our husbands put up with a lot, huh?

Anonymous said...

Lindsey...I think mac and cheese was one of my favorite foods until I saw your picture...ahhh! Don't sweat it though, I think all new wives are entitled to at least one really spoiled meal.

I once had the same idea and thought I could make Justin an impressive homemade batch of fried chicken. Sounds simple right? Oh no, it was probably the most difficult thing I ever tried to conquer...black on the outside, pink on the inside, and it smelled like burning motor oil. Needless to say I haven't tried that one again.

Good thing the key to a man's heart isn't through his stomach...it's...well I won't go there but I think you know the answer! Ha! Anyway's don't give up on the cooking, there's hope for us all!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I thought I was blogging from my account. The post above-"Rusty" is really from Adriane :)