Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Little Sabbath Day Food For Thought...

2 out of the ordinary things happened today at church that I wanted to share. One funny, the other humbling (is that a word?).

We will start with the serious one. Today, as we were pulling out of the church parking lot, we saw a woman walking down the street with her 3 small girls. We decided we should stop and see if they wanted a ride, assuming they were probably close to home, but wanting to offer regardless. The mother hesitated briefly, until she realized I knew her daughter, who was in one of my former primary classes.

So we piled everyone into the car and I sat in the back with the girls so the mom could give Jared directions. To my surprise, it was about a 10 minute drive, which would have been quite the walk for anyone, much less with 3 small children.

So the point of this story is not to "toot my own horn" for giving a ride....not by a long shot! I was blown away by the dedication of this woman. I don't know her story. I don't know if she walked to church. I don't know if they make that walk frequently, or where her husband was.

What I do know is more Sunday mornings than I am willing to admit I wake up thinking, "I am TOO TIRED to go to church...yesterday was too busy, I just want to lay in bed ALL DAY...Ugh, I have to wake Kerrigan up and get her ready and DRIVE all the way to church...etc."

Do I eventually get out of bed? Yes. Does my attitude change once I have left the comforts of my bed? Definitely! Do I always see blessings in my life because I went? OF COURSE!!!!

However...

...I wonder if I would do the same way if circumstances were different. Is the "fire" strong enough in me that I would do whatever it took to attend church?

I would like to think that I would, but I am not sure. However, I learned today I need to make some changes. I am determined to get to a place where every Sunday I wake up and rejoice in the fact that I have the opportunity to attend church.

I am not sure what it will take, but I feel like today I took the first step!

NOW TO LIGHTEN THE MOOD....

I was a substitute in the Valiant 9 class. These kids are hilarious! It was seriously like night and day from teaching sunbeams (not that I didn't enjoy my 3 year olds).

I didn't teach the lesson- although Patricia did an amazing job!- I just sat in for some very unnecessary crowd control...they were such good kids.

Anyways, while discussing where good people who sometimes make bad choices go, the little girl sitting next to me leans over and whispers, "I think that is where Michael Jackson went".

Out of the mouths' of babes, people, out of the mouths' of babes!

3 comments:

Our Ohana said...

HAHA! That's a 9 year old that is well informed! TOO FUNNY!

I often wonder the same thing as you - you always hear about the people in 3rd world countries that live off of hardly any food just to save up to go to the temple or they walk 3 miles every Sunday to go to church ... it really puts my life in check! that's for sure!

The Dillinghams said...

That is so funny! I love being around kids and listening to what they say.

Clint and Tiffany said...

LINDSEY! How are you?! I'm so glad you found us! Your little Kerrigan is SO adorable! Girls are the best (emotional, but SO fun!) and I'm so excited to have TWO! It's amazing and I sit in wonder everyday that we have been blessed with such sweet angels to raise. Enjoy all the adorableness a girl has to offer!