Monday, April 13, 2009

Help Needed...

Kerrigan slept in her own crib all night last night...HOORAY!!!! She did her 4:00 ritual wake up, but I went in and rocked her and she fell back asleep until about 7. Great news, right?



It really is, but when I went in at 4, there were 2 problems that needed to be addressed immediately: 1. Her legs were stuck in between the bars of her crib and 2. She had broken free of her swaddling and it was wrapped around her neck- YIKES!

Problem 1 was easily solved today...I went and bought bumpers today at Target. Unfortunately the only bumpers they had were really ugly, but they will get the job done, so legs in between slates... FIXED.

Problem 2, not so easy. Apparently she is tired of being swaddled, every night she manages to escapes the supposedly inescapable Miracle Blanket. Really, I think her swaddling days are over, however...

I don't know how to de-swaddlize my child. She is still very wiggly and flaily when she sleeps if she isn't swaddled. Has anyone faced this situation where the baby still kind of needs to be swaddled but doesn't want to be?

Do I just stop swaddling her and hope that she adjusts? Do I just kind of swaddle her so she can break free without waking up because of the struggle to get out?

Any advice would be great!

8 comments:

rachel said...

yikes! good luck! I have no advice. I never swaddled my kids when i put them to bed. i hope she get adjusted qick for both your benefit!

RaCHELLE HuRD said...

tenley never liked to be swaddled. i've just always used a space heater and let her do her thing. she wiggles, and rolls, and gets comfy and falls asleep in bizarre positions/places in her crib. but whatev. :) so i have no advice, other than dress her warm (maybe even in PJ's & a gunny-sack type sleeper) and see how it goes! good luck.

The Arbuckle's said...

We use to swaddle Noah with only one arm tucked in, he LOVED having his left arm out.

Ami said...

hey! thanks for thinking of me. I am doing ok just in a tiny amount of pain. I am at work, but its ok.
SO I told my friend about the sids fears and she told me about this awesome monitor she got at babys-r-us to detect breathing. It is a pad you lay under the baby's sheets and if the baby stops breathing for 20 seconds then the monitor goes off! She looked up reviews and it has actually saved a lot of baby lives. Sounds like something I'll def. get.

Erin said...

I have no swaddling advice because I only did it for like a week with Ellie. But I do have the hair advice you asked for!

For max volume: Switch to a volumizing shampoo/conditioner. If you can afford a salon quality, they actually do work better but I usually just use whatever I get from walmart. Here's a new trick I figured out. Get out of the shower and towel dry your hair. Add volumizing (is that a word?) muse to your roots only. Now here's the trick, let your hair air dry for a little while. Do your make up first, get dressed... give it about 10 minutes. But you don't want it so dry that it will be wavy if your hair has a tendency to do that. Then when you do blowdry, use your hot and cold settings if your blow dryer has one. Lift up your hair in sections and blow hot air at the roots until they are dry. Then while still holding that section up, blow cold air. That will set the hair and keep the volume. Then when you are drying the rest of your hair (hair below the roots), blowdry it upside down with hot air until your whole head is dry. Before you flip it up, use your cool setting to completely cool your hair. When you stand up straight you should have BIG HAIR! Comb it down, straighten it or style it however you normally do, then tease or backcomb it. I do it in 3 sections, right side at the roots, left side at the roots, and then back at the roots. First spray some hair spray on the roots, give it a second but don't let it dry completely, then start teasing it. Then comb it over to smooth everything out.

This is how I do my hair. Come to Thatcher to visit and I'll show you in person!

sarah said...

If you are using the swaddle blanket you can just leave her arms out to kind of transition her away from the blanket. That way her body still feels secure. Good luck!

Gina - Peke Moe said...

hugs to you. we used a Peke Moe sleep sack to transition our boy from swaddling http://www.pekemoe.co.nz and it worked immediately. You can try just swaddling one arm, or keeping babies arms inside a sleeping bag but pinning the arm holes shut. good luck :)

RaCHELLE HuRD said...

hey friend, i saw erin's instructions, and thought i would share that you can go to youtube and search "back comb hair" and it will teach you how to get a great tease/lift to your hair. i'm addicted to back combing. :)